Skip to main content

Firework Oreos

When I first heard about Oreos with popping candy in them I thought it was an internet joke, but it turned out to be true.

Firework Oreos with pop rock equivalent. That to me was a challenge I had to accept, even tho it is not the wisest thing for me to do (gluten intolerant). But I had to.



Picked up a package at Winco when I stopped to pick up a few items I needed for dinner. The package is 10.7 oz (303 g) for a bit less that $3.00, so price isn't too bad since it is a limited edition cookie flavor.

Waited a day before trying them, so brought them to work to try them when I went to lunch. Opened the package and slide out the tray (yes there is an easy open on the front, but I like sliding them out of the package the old fashioned way LOL!



At first look they look fine, with little teeny, tiny specks of the popping candy. Tho they do look a wee bit too small. I wondered if there would be a satisfying pop at all.

Twisted off one cookie (it was the filling I was going for in the first place and I needed to cut down the contamination as much as I could from the cookie. I can handle small amounts, but while I was being a stupid in this case, I wasn't going to be a total idiot. Besides, the cookie of an Oreo is always an Oreo cookie).


Still pretty small speckles. But the filling lifted off the cookie nicely and I popped it in my mouth.

Tasted like Oreo filling, pretty good. A little gritty texture from the candy, but no POP! like I was hoping. Nothing really happened until it was almost gone and then the little sizzle there was was kind of an afterthought :(

Tried a few more, but still the same result. Was pretty underwhelmed with the reaction of the candy in the filling. If I hadn't been looking for it, I never would have known there was some fizzy to it. It was pretty MEH!

Could it be improved? I think so, bigger pieces of popping candy would be a good start. If you remember Pop Rocks, while they aren't huge, the pieces are big enough to produce a satisfying pop when you eat them. Even the smaller bits are good if there is quite a few of them together. But that satisfying pop just isn't in these cookies.

I brought the rest down for our student workers to have a treat. If I were to have the urge for something like this again I would probably just whip up a batch of knock off filling and mix in several packets of real Pop Rocks and enjoy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percival,, erm, um the ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum Cleaner

But I call him Percy LOL! We picked up the vacuum on a special that was offered and jumped at a chance to try one. We've been looking at the robotic vacs for quite a while now, but have never really been able to justify one. However, physical health issues and the special pushed us to order it. The  ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum Cleaner  is exactly what we needed. Took a bit once we got it to get things running smoothly, but it was worth having the house vacuumed daily, esp as we have two cats, who while are short haired, shed daily. Not to mention all the small debris we track into the house on the bottom of our shoes. The bot comes with a remote that allows you to program and also to run it manually. The phone app can be downloaded and then using the bot and remote sync them all up. For most part, we use the phone apps to program and run Percy. As mentioned, I named my bot. I'm the type of person who names cars, etc. Robots esp are going to get n...

Strike & Spare Bar & Grill

So we were down in Lewiston/Clarkson last weekend and trying to figure out where to go for lunch. Sitting in Starbucks I used hubby's smarter then me phone to peruse Urbanspoon to find someplace we hadn't been before and would be different. Came across an entry for the Strike & Spare Bar & Grill that talked about their giant turkey sandwich. At the mention of turkey, hubby's eyes lit up as he loves him his turkey sandwiches. So it was decided. We punched in the address in the GPS and off we went. As you can probably guess from the name, the Strike & Spare is attached to the local bowling alley. We walked in and went AHHHHHHH!!!!!: It was that nice late 60s, early 70s lounge decor and feel with the sounds of balls hitting pins in the background. It wasn't too dark and nice and cool. Found our selves a table and sat. Perused the little snacks/drinks menu and waited for the waitress: Waitress brought our menus and we ordered ice tea while we looked ...

Franz 7 grain gluten free bread

I am forever looking for a good gluten free bread. While I've made some pretty tasty ones at home, for the ultimate sandwich (grilled cheese) I have not found one I truely love.  While shopping in Lewiston a while back we'd passed the Franz Bakery Outlet and saw they had a sign saying they had gluten free bread. We stopped, but they were out (seems it tends to sell out as fast as they bring it in). So the next time we were there we stopped and they had a few loaves left. It was priced at $4.98 a loaf, so I only grabbed one. The price is a bit more then I would usually pay, esp since I was used to 89 cent a loaf wheat bread, but I decided I had to try it. I hadn't seen any fresh GF in the stores and the ones they do have, while tasty, are found in the freezer section and are rather small for $5 a loaf.  The loaf was a hefty 1 lb 2 oz and felt substantial. I couldn't wait to get home to give it a try. Since it was brutally hot that day we opted for dinner of cold c...