Skip to main content

De Boles Gluten Free Rice Lasagna Noodles (no boil)


A couple weeks ago I had a seriously stressed day and the only thing I wanted for dinner was lasagna. While my lasagna usually takes two days to make (sauce first day and then the dish the next day) I can and will make a quick and dirty one. So I hit the store for ground beef, spaghetti sauce and the cheeses. Couldn't find a 'sketti sauce that didn't have some amount of HFCS in it, even a little bit makes the sauce too sweet and icky, so got a can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs and spices and tomato sauce.

We then hit Rosauers to get the brand of GF brown rice lasagna noodles I like, only to discover none of the shelves.

Off to the Co-op where I was able to finally find some GF lasagna noodles by De Boles. Only thing was, they were the no cook variety.  I have never used the no cook type for the very simple reason I use a round deep dish casserole for my lasagna. I would have to break up the noodles to put them in. Since I didn't feel like going to another store to find the noodles I wanted I figured to give it a go.

Once home I started my sauce, got the cheeses ready and then contemplated the noodles. There weren't really directions on the box on how to use them, just not to cook them. I did skim the recipe on the box for Southwest chicken lasagna and started breaking up some noodles.

Sprayed the casserole with non-stick spray and put in the first layer of noodles. I made the sauce extra liquidy as I had seen on my various cooking lists and sites that the noodles will cook while baking. Layered in cheeses and custom fitted broken lasagna noodles until I had a full pan. Into the oven it went for 45-50 minutes.

Pulled it out, let it sit and then dished up. Taste of the noodles was good, but not cooked thru, still a bit too al dente, even for my tastes (I parboil my noodles to just pliable to get them to layer in the pan. When the lasagna is done, the noodles are the perfect texture). Looked at the recipe on the box again and they had the lasagna cooking for an hour and a bit. Which would be a little too long for my lasagna unless I lower the temp a few degrees or so and let them cook longer.

I did find that when nuked the next day as leftovers the noodles came out the right texture and still tasted good.

Will I try them again? If I can't get my regular GF lasagna noodles I will. I will either parboil just to give them the kick start they need or lower the oven temp to give them a longer bake time.

Comments

  1. well, this is cute. A search for "gluten free lasanga" brings this up in the first page of hits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi elimenohpe, I prefer the lasagna noodles from Tinkyada as my go to lasagna noodles, they are brown rice and require parboiling. I'm still having issues with the no cook kind simply because my sauces are not that liquid so the noodles just don't get a chance to cook they way they should. I like the flavor of the DeBoles, it is good and will simply parboil them when I do get them, just prefer the Tinkyada brand over everything. GF products around here is a hit and miss, so i am glad I do have a choice when I can't find my prefered brand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Percival,, erm, um the ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum Cleaner

But I call him Percy LOL! We picked up the vacuum on a special that was offered and jumped at a chance to try one. We've been looking at the robotic vacs for quite a while now, but have never really been able to justify one. However, physical health issues and the special pushed us to order it. The  ECOVACS DEEBOT M80 Pro Robotic Vacuum Cleaner  is exactly what we needed. Took a bit once we got it to get things running smoothly, but it was worth having the house vacuumed daily, esp as we have two cats, who while are short haired, shed daily. Not to mention all the small debris we track into the house on the bottom of our shoes. The bot comes with a remote that allows you to program and also to run it manually. The phone app can be downloaded and then using the bot and remote sync them all up. For most part, we use the phone apps to program and run Percy. As mentioned, I named my bot. I'm the type of person who names cars, etc. Robots esp are going to get n...

Strike & Spare Bar & Grill

So we were down in Lewiston/Clarkson last weekend and trying to figure out where to go for lunch. Sitting in Starbucks I used hubby's smarter then me phone to peruse Urbanspoon to find someplace we hadn't been before and would be different. Came across an entry for the Strike & Spare Bar & Grill that talked about their giant turkey sandwich. At the mention of turkey, hubby's eyes lit up as he loves him his turkey sandwiches. So it was decided. We punched in the address in the GPS and off we went. As you can probably guess from the name, the Strike & Spare is attached to the local bowling alley. We walked in and went AHHHHHHH!!!!!: It was that nice late 60s, early 70s lounge decor and feel with the sounds of balls hitting pins in the background. It wasn't too dark and nice and cool. Found our selves a table and sat. Perused the little snacks/drinks menu and waited for the waitress: Waitress brought our menus and we ordered ice tea while we looked ...

Franz 7 grain gluten free bread

I am forever looking for a good gluten free bread. While I've made some pretty tasty ones at home, for the ultimate sandwich (grilled cheese) I have not found one I truely love.  While shopping in Lewiston a while back we'd passed the Franz Bakery Outlet and saw they had a sign saying they had gluten free bread. We stopped, but they were out (seems it tends to sell out as fast as they bring it in). So the next time we were there we stopped and they had a few loaves left. It was priced at $4.98 a loaf, so I only grabbed one. The price is a bit more then I would usually pay, esp since I was used to 89 cent a loaf wheat bread, but I decided I had to try it. I hadn't seen any fresh GF in the stores and the ones they do have, while tasty, are found in the freezer section and are rather small for $5 a loaf.  The loaf was a hefty 1 lb 2 oz and felt substantial. I couldn't wait to get home to give it a try. Since it was brutally hot that day we opted for dinner of cold c...