De Boles Gluten Free Rice Lasagna Noodles (no boil)


A couple weeks ago I had a seriously stressed day and the only thing I wanted for dinner was lasagna. While my lasagna usually takes two days to make (sauce first day and then the dish the next day) I can and will make a quick and dirty one. So I hit the store for ground beef, spaghetti sauce and the cheeses. Couldn't find a 'sketti sauce that didn't have some amount of HFCS in it, even a little bit makes the sauce too sweet and icky, so got a can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs and spices and tomato sauce.

We then hit Rosauers to get the brand of GF brown rice lasagna noodles I like, only to discover none of the shelves.

Off to the Co-op where I was able to finally find some GF lasagna noodles by De Boles. Only thing was, they were the no cook variety.  I have never used the no cook type for the very simple reason I use a round deep dish casserole for my lasagna. I would have to break up the noodles to put them in. Since I didn't feel like going to another store to find the noodles I wanted I figured to give it a go.

Once home I started my sauce, got the cheeses ready and then contemplated the noodles. There weren't really directions on the box on how to use them, just not to cook them. I did skim the recipe on the box for Southwest chicken lasagna and started breaking up some noodles.

Sprayed the casserole with non-stick spray and put in the first layer of noodles. I made the sauce extra liquidy as I had seen on my various cooking lists and sites that the noodles will cook while baking. Layered in cheeses and custom fitted broken lasagna noodles until I had a full pan. Into the oven it went for 45-50 minutes.

Pulled it out, let it sit and then dished up. Taste of the noodles was good, but not cooked thru, still a bit too al dente, even for my tastes (I parboil my noodles to just pliable to get them to layer in the pan. When the lasagna is done, the noodles are the perfect texture). Looked at the recipe on the box again and they had the lasagna cooking for an hour and a bit. Which would be a little too long for my lasagna unless I lower the temp a few degrees or so and let them cook longer.

I did find that when nuked the next day as leftovers the noodles came out the right texture and still tasted good.

Will I try them again? If I can't get my regular GF lasagna noodles I will. I will either parboil just to give them the kick start they need or lower the oven temp to give them a longer bake time.

Comments

  1. well, this is cute. A search for "gluten free lasanga" brings this up in the first page of hits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi elimenohpe, I prefer the lasagna noodles from Tinkyada as my go to lasagna noodles, they are brown rice and require parboiling. I'm still having issues with the no cook kind simply because my sauces are not that liquid so the noodles just don't get a chance to cook they way they should. I like the flavor of the DeBoles, it is good and will simply parboil them when I do get them, just prefer the Tinkyada brand over everything. GF products around here is a hit and miss, so i am glad I do have a choice when I can't find my prefered brand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment