Mexican Coke

Way back in 1985 Coca Cola came out with "New Coke" and ran into a tempest. People didn't like it, more importantly I didn't like it. A couple months later they gave in and brought out "Coca-Cola Classic". Only problem was they changed the formula to use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. Most people didn't mind, but I never found Coke Classic to be as good as original Coke.

Fast forward a number of years and I discover in Newfoundland a bottle of Coca Cola, made with cane sugar. This is when I learned that Coke in other countries is usually made with sugar and not HFCS. Unfortunately, Newfoundland is on the other side of the country from where I live and I can't get up to Canada enough to find a supply there.

Imagine my happiness a couple years ago to find that Costco was carrying Mexican Coke made with sugar. I was in heaven and would buy a flat or two when I shopped there. Imagine my dismay when Costco stopped selling Coca Cola products. So I was very happy to find I could get Mexican Coke at a local Mexican restaurant and even happier when Winco started carrying it. So now I have a source for Coke that tastes like it should:



No HFCS in sight. This Coke has a nice clean flavor, isn't cloying like most sodas made with HFCS and one bottle is actually satisfying. I love to pour it into a glass over ice and sit and enjoy.

Mexican Coke can be hard to find, but worth the hunt.

Comments

  1. We have it here, in the size pictured, and in a 287 Ml pony (formerly known as 'Bar service size').

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to find it in the 2 liter size to take to parties and get togethers. I'm just bummed Coke got snotty with Costco over selling prices and Costco told them to take a hike and doesn't sell Coke products anymore. It was nice being able to buy the flats for less then a $1 a bottle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment